We live in Minnesota and it’s not exactly out of the ordinary for snow to come in October. For some reason, it seems awfully early for the first major accumulation of snow to make an appearance.
Today’s snow fall serves as a good time to remember the recommendations for the National Safety Council when it comes to shoveling snow safely:
- Do not shovel after eating or while smoking.
- Take it slow and stretch out before you begin.
- Shovel only fresh, powdery snow; it’s lighter.
- Push the snow rather than lifting it.
- If you do lift it, use a small shovel or only partially fill the shovel.
- Lift with your legs, not your back.
- Do not work to the point of exhaustion.
- Know the signs of a heart attack, and stop immediately and call 911 if you’re experiencing any of them; every minute counts.
Enjoy the snow and stay safe.